Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Flirting or Just Being Nice

I guess I have a lot going on in my head this month and feel the need to blog about it...but I know you all love it :)

So...this one comes from current events.  I don't like to be cruel, so I won't name names.

So a friend of a friend comes in to work every so often and the last time he came in I went over and talked to him for a few minutes.  He asked if I wanted to hang out sometime, and I said sure.  We exchanged numbers...normal stuff right?!

Well...apparently I entered a world of texting by being nice and accepting his invitation to hang out some time.  I haven't yet entirely figured out how to politely get out of exchanging numbers with someone who you know from mutual friends, but most of the time they're not creepy so I figure it's safe.  Plus if you happen to run into them other places, it makes it less awkward and you can be friendly and whatever.  That's what I thought I was doing...  And if we happened to hang out at a bar some night it would be no harm, no foul.  By the way...I don't understand why accepting an invitation to be hang out sometime (ps...that is very non-descriptive and can often mean never) and exchanging numbers means "Yes, I'm madly in love with you and can't wait for you to proclaim your love for me over text"  But I'm getting slightly off topic...

Pretty much from the moment he had my number he decided it was acceptable to text me (almost every day) about non-sense.  Asking what I was doing (which 90% of the time was working), telling me he always thought I was cute, telling me he wanted a neck massage, and other random stuff.  I guess it would be flattering if I thought he was attractive...but I don't remember that question being part of the pre-rec for "hanging out sometime".  Only today, after just over a week of this non-sense, did he finally ask me if I liked him.  And I almost hate that question more than having to go through all this crap in the first place, because I don't like to be mean to people.  I don't like making people feel bad, it's just not fun.  But when you ask direct questions, you get direct answers so...I told him I did not like him as anything more than a friend.  To which I have heard no reply...

So now I sit here thinking.  I'm glad that headache is over...  But when situations happen like this I always wonder...did I some how lead him to believe that I was interested?  Was I flirting or just being nice?  I'm pretty sure I was just being nice.  I didn't text him...he texted me.  I was almost always working...but if I really wanted to make time for him I probably could have...or could have at least tried to arrange something in the future.  But I didn't.

I think this situation happens to everyone at least once, on either side.  I just always feel bad hurting other people's feelings, but sometimes people really are just being nice...and that's all there is.

Until tomorrow my <3's

No comments:

Post a Comment