Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Letting Go

Any time a relationship ends there is usually more emotional damage than physical damage.  Or at least one would hope.  The emotional damage is hard to deal with, sometimes you don't even realize that you have any until something triggers it.

It doesn't matter what your role was in the relationship: girlfriend, husband, child, no one is immune.  I think in one way or another everyone out there has emotional damage.  Gone are the days where we live happily ever after.  There are no real fairy tales these days.  People break-up, parents get divorced, tragedy strikes.  And emotional damage becomes apart of us, something we can't really explain, something we hide.

I like to think that I do a good job of hiding my emotional damage.  It's not something I enjoy talking about, so I keep it to myself a lot.  But by doing so I push some people away.  I don't let them get close to me because I fear they won't like what's underneath.  So I make people work for it, I make people put effort into finding out who I really am and what makes me, me.  Right or wrong I'm not sure, I'm sure you could argue both cases.  But that's what I do.

My sister has some emotional damage as well, probably a little more than me.  She's a little more famous for wearing her heart on her sleeve, although she might beg to differ.  However, it's difficult for both of us to let people in.  Tonight in a conversation about this subject she said to me, "Yeah, well I guess we'll have to let go."  And as simple as it sounds, she is right.  We will.  We all will, every single one of us that walks around with emotional damage hidden somewhere, will have to learn to let go.  Because...Wayne Gretzky's quote fits well here: "You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Also...

Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment