Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Wanna be a Toys R Us Kid

I knew that sleeping in today was going to come back and bite me in the ass, I am of course not tired now and need to be up early.  So we'll blog for a bit, since I'd been thinking about it anyway, and attempt to sleep after.

This has been a topic of conversation recently, in my world, figuring out what you want to do with the rest of your life.  I need to figure that out, among other people.  It seems as though more and more people are falling under this category.  We'll say they're "Spinning".  They're working or going to school, but still trying to find out what they're ultimately passionate about.  More and more people are attending college now it seems, but once you get a degree what do you do with it?

I chose a degree I thought I would enjoy, but as I got to the end and finished I discovered all the jobs most people do with my degree were underwhelming to me.  I started my Master's but stopped because I wasn't happy with that direction either.  I, in all honesty, am not really sure I am "made" to do one specific job, I like doing all kinds of different things, it keeps me from getting antsy and bored.  My brother on the other hand knows what he is made to do and he has stuck with it, and I have no doubt he will get exactly where he wants to go.  I am enormously proud of where he is today, with plenty of future ahead of him to accomplish everything he dreams and more.  But him and I are very different.  He is on the straight and narrow and I...well...I'm probably not really on a path any more.

Whenever I think about this topic I am reminded of the Toys R Us commercial from when I was a kid.  No one wants to grow up, they want to stay kids forever.  And I sense that more and more people feel this way.

There is a lot of pressure as an adult.  You need to finish school, get a job, buy a house, buy a car, get married, have a kid, etc....  Sometimes the idea of all of that sounds fun, but it adds up!  And life doesn't happen at the same age or in the same order for everyone.  Some people know what they want to do with their lives from an early age and others of us struggle.  Some of us find the love of our lives earlier in life and some of us may never find them.  Some of us will have kids, but it's not for everyone.  Some of us will buy several houses over the course of our lives, and some prefer to rent.  Some of us are planners and some of us like to fly by the seat of our pants.

I'm not entirely sure why there is so much pressure for all of these things, because ultimately our own happiness is what matters.  And as long as you achieve happiness in your life who cares how long it took you, what age you accomplished it at, or what order it happened for you in?!

I believe that we should never be afraid to be who we are, because who we are is beautiful in one way or another.  We are born different, and we should try to our best to remain that way.  And no one thing is right for everyone.  (I apologize if I stole those quotes without actually quoting them...I may have heard them before, or may have made them up, I'm not sure).

And with that I say...G'night my loves! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment